MRC has extensive experience in undertaking inspections and condition surveys of bridges, tunnels and special structures. Our staff is experienced in a wide range of inspection and condition survey techniques for structural steel, reinforced and prestressed concrete, masonry and timber bridges, concrete tunnels and shafts and special structures, including lighting poles, sign-support structures, mine shafts etc.
- Detailed visual inspections and ratings (bridges culverts, tunnels, special structures, etc.)
- Fatigue inspections (steel and aluminum structures)
- Detailed condition surveys of concrete components (concrete cover, coring, corrosion potential surveys, etc.)
- Inspection & testing of materials and bridge components (concrete, steel, timber, masonry, aluminum, special materials)
- Non-destructive investigation of post-tensioning cables
- Underwater investigations
- Coating inspection
- Load testing of bridges
We are experienced in the use of a wide range of inspection standards and rating systems and routinely use the Ontario OSIM, Public Works Canada BIM, NY State DOT and U.S. National Bridge Inspection NBIS standards for the inspection of bridges across Canada and International and Provincial border crossings. We are also experienced in the inspection of transit tunnels using TTC inspection standards and in the use of the U.S. Federal Highway Administration Highway and Rail Tunnel Inspection Manual.
MRC’s qualifications and experience in bridge inspection has resulted in the firm being retained to develop bridge inspection guidelines for clients, including:
- Public Works Canada BIM manual for the inspection of all federal bridges in Canada.
- Guidelines for Transport Canada to assist in the development of the regulations prescribed by Bill C3 International Bridges and Tunnels Act for the inspection of the 24 international vehicular and 9 rail bridges/tunnels between Canada and the United States .
- Guidelines for Parks Canada for the inspection of all Parks Canada bridges across Canada
- Annual Inspection of International Peace Bridge
- Annual Inspection of the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge
- Burlington Bay Skyway Northbound-Rehabilitation, Ontario
- Fatigue Inspections and Evaluations of 100 MTO Bridges
- F.G. Gardiner Expressway Substructure Rehabilitation
- Hydro One Bridge Inspections/Evaluations, Northern Ontario
- Parks Canada Bridge Inspections, Atlantic Provinces, Canada
- Annual Inspection of Seaway International Bridges, Cornwall, ON / Messina, NY