International Border Crossings
MRC’s breadth of experience and reputation in border crossing studies is such that we provide consulting services to virtually all the international crossings in Ontario, including: The Peace Bridge, The Blue Water Bridge, The Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, The International Bridge (Sault Ste. Marie), and the bridges over the St. Lawrence Seaway in eastern Ontario. Our client base has extended to border crossings in British Columbia. We have also carried out investment-grade traffic and revenue studies for international toll bridges.
The planning, development and upgrading of international land border crossings requires a unique understanding of these 24-hour/7-day operational environments with an in-depth knowledge of traffic engineering, processing comprehension (customs inspection, immigration and security requirements), stakeholder consultation and a broad range of traffic, civil, structural, electrical and state-of-the-art ITS engineering expertise.
Over the years, MRC has developed a unique understanding and knowledge of international land border crossings such as the evolving inspection and processing requirements of the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA); U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Customs Border Protection (CBP) operations and security concerns. We have worked on virtually every border crossing in Ontario and have completed more than 130 assignments on the International Bridges and Tunnels between Canada and the United States.
Our services include:
- Toll and inspection plaza planning and development;
- Comprehensive border crossing stakeholder consultation programs;
- Toll revenue forecasting studies;
- ITS applications;
- Business case assessments;
- Annual bridge inspections;
- Detail design of bridges and plaza infrastructure;
- Construction administration of all types of border crossing facilities;
- Program management; and
- Permitting and approvals.
- Canadian Plaza Redevelopment – Queenston-Lewiston International Crossing
- Annual Inspection of International Peace Bridge
- Annual Inspection of the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge
- Master Plan for Canadian Plaza Expansion, Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge
- Canadian Plaza Redevelopment, Blue Water International Bridge
- Lewiston-Queenston International Bridge Fifth lane Project
- International Rainbow Bridge, Canadian Approach Span Repairs, Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Annual Inspection of Seaway International Bridges, Cornwall, ON / Messina, NY
- Whirlpool Rapids International Bridge Rehabilitation, Niagara Falls, Ontario